Pre-flight for HTML email.
Premailer needs your help
Premailer has been chewing through HTML email templates since 2007(!) and has been used by 10s of thousands of people to make working with HTML email a little less horrible.
Since then, Dialect (that’s us) have moved away from building websites (we have a ticketing business now). We need to find something to do with Premailer.
- would be interested in sponsoring Premailer to cover our hosting costs, or
- would be interested in having the API stable and paying for API access, or
- know of a web dev shop and would be interested in taking this project over, or
- have another idea
What is this?
For the best HTML e-mail delivery results, CSS should be inline. This is a huge pain and a simple newsletter becomes un-managable very quickly. This script is our solution.
- CSS styles are converted to inline style attributes
Checks style and link[rel=stylesheet] tags and preserves existing inline attributes
- Relative paths are converted to absolute paths
Checks links in href, src and CSS url('')
- CSS properties are checked against e-mail client capabilities
Based on the Email Standards Project’s guides
- A plain text version is created
A few things to note:
- Things can get messy very quickly with the * selector—be careful
- Only the screen, handheld and all media types are processed
If you’re using Firefox 3+, you can use a bookmarklet as a shortcut to processing pages.
To install, drag this link up to your toolbar: Premailer
A beta API for Premailer is now available. See the API documentation for details.
Under the hood
Written by Alex Dunae at Dialect. Copyright 2007-.
Get in touch with us
Please send all enquiries to