Pre-flight for HTML email.
What is this?
For the best HTML e-mail delivery results, CSS should be inline. This is a huge pain and a simple newsletter becomes un-managable very quickly. This script is our solution.
- CSS styles are converted to inline style attributes
Checks style and link[rel=stylesheet] tags and preserves existing inline attributes
- Relative paths are converted to absolute paths
Checks links in href, src and CSS url('')
- CSS properties are checked against e-mail client capabilities
Based on the Email Standards Project’s guides
- A plain text version is created
A few things to note:
- Things can get messy very quickly with the * selector—be careful
- Only the screen, handheld and all media types are processed
If you’re using Firefox 3+, you can use a bookmarklet as a shortcut to processing pages.
To install, drag this link up to your toolbar: Premailer
A beta API for Premailer is now available. See the API documentation for details.
Under the hood
The current version, 1.7.3, has a new home and active development has resumed. Please update your bookmarks to http://premailer.dialect.ca/.
Updates are announced at http://twitter.com/TheCHANGELOG.
Premailer is written in Ruby, with a lot of help from Nokogiri, Hpricot and the Sinatra framework (goodbye eruby). The source is available on GitHub. Please file a bug report if anything goes haywire.
Written by Alex Dunae at Dialect. Copyright 2007-11.
Get in touch with us
Please send all enquiries to